From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:18:15 +0100
Don Satz:

>we keep posting on the subject of music every day.  And, I submit that
>each of us knows what we're talking about and what others are talking
>about.

99% or so of the time, yes.  But the 4'33" thread has shown that there
are times that we don't all agree on these things or know what others
understand by such deceptively every-day and simple terms as "music".
Some of us like to spend our time discussing minute details of their
umpteenth recording of some obscure piece by an equally obscure composer,
and comparing it with somebody else's idea of the best of his twenty-six
CDs of the same piece.  Fine - I don't complain about that, although
joining in such discussion is not my consuming passion.  Others of us get
our kicks by patrolling the borders of our grasp of "music", trying to
refine our ideas of what's on one side of some conceptual divide and what's
on the other.  Each to his own.

Ian