From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 00:07:41 +0000
Kevin Sutton wrote, in a post that I wholeheartedly agree with:

>I got turned on to the classics via Wendy Carlos (then Walter) when
>I was in grammar school.  It didn't hurt me a bit!

It was a few years earlier and Jacques Loussier for me, but:

I heard some of Carlos' Bach again on the radio recently.  I can think
of very few performances, even from the greatest of Bach interpreters,
that match these for their ability to bring out the separate lines and
clarify the architecture of the pieces.  No way would I pick Carlos for
my "desert island" Bach recordings, but I do strongly believe these
performances should not be forgotten.  They are far better than was
realised at the time, when all the attention was focused on the instruments
rather than on the artist's vision of the music.

Ian Crisp