From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:52:01 -0500
Gordon Henshaw wrote:

>I do have a question about the audience when this work is performed.  I was
>almost in a state of giggles during the performance.  Most of the audience
>sat in reverential silence.  It is something of a challenge to know what is
>the correct concert etiquette to adopt during performances of this piece.

Unless I have it all wrong, the "music" in this work is the naturally
occuring sounds that one overlooks when not concentrating on keeping
silent.  Therefore, whatever happens while the performance is going on,
is a valid part of the "music".  It would seem to me that the more activity
the better, as long as the audience was concious of the fact that what they
think is extraneous noise is really what the composer wanted them to
notice.

Kevin Sutton