From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:01:16 -0500
Max Starkenburg wrote:

>You can Telemann by where he likes to live.  I just Toch a trip Orff
>into one of the Wilder areas Faure Wieck, and to be Verdi Franck, it
>nearly drove Menotti.

Max's tale made of musical puns reminds me of the following account from
the BBC's "My Word", where Frank Muir and Dennis Norden give us the origins
of common expressions, which some of you may recall.

It seems that Johann Sebastian Bach decided to take his family out for
a fine Sunday dinner after church in one of the Leipzig Bierstuben.  Of
course they had to get a special table to accommodate not only the JS and
his wife, but also their many children, all of whom suddenly having to go
to the little boys' room and little girls' room, as kids do, but also
having to wait their turn as there were so many of them.

The waiter came to take their order for drinks, and Johann Sebastian
ordered a beer, his wife, once more in a family way, blushed and said
she'd have a mineral water, while the children ordered cokes, ginger ale,
and Shirley Temples, except for young Wilhelm Friedemann, who ordered a
strawberry daiquiri, giving some indication of the path his later life
would take.  It was then that they discovered that one of the sons was
missing, still in the rest room.  They told the waiter that they would
inform him of what the missing son would want when he returned, but the
waiter replied that this wouldn't be necessary, calling out to the bus-boy,
"See what the Bach in the boys' room will have!"

Walter Meyer