From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:28:07 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>One of the benefits of belonging to the list is reading of what others have
>been listening to.  Steve Schwartz's review prompted me to dig out an EMI
>LP containing Yardumian's 1st Symphony which I had not heard in years, and
>to wonder if it will ever make it to CD. I read the Grove entries on
>Yardumian, and on Anshel Brusilow, who was the conductor on the LP, and
>the soloist in the premiere of Yardumian's Violin Concerto.
>
>The only other Brusilow I have is an EMI CD containing, among others,
>an especially passionate Borodin 2nd.  Both this and the LP are with
>the Bournemouth Symphony and were recorded in 1976.  I vaguely remember
>Brusilow's name on the radio in conjunction with the Chamber Symphony of
>Philadelphia.  I wondered why a gifted conductor, highly thought of by such
>people as Ormandy and Szell and, indeed, Yardumian, who gave the LP his
>enthusiastic imprimatur, recorded comparatively little.  In short, whatever
>happened to Anshel Brusilow?
>
>Richard Pennycuick

For what it's worth:

I co-produced [uncredited] the Yardumian/Bournemouth CD; Anshel Brusilow
was a family friend from my childhood.  We had the same agent in the UK,
Robert Angles.

He was associate concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra when Joseph
Gingold, my second cousin, was concertmaster..

He did indeed found the Chamber Symphony of Philadelphia; Ormandy regarded
it as treasonous for any players in the Philadelphia Orchestra's orbit to
contemplate another orchestra in the area, and worked against it at least
covertly if not openly.

The Chamber Symphony made a group of amazing records, eventually, however,
collapsed due to insufficient funding.

Anshel Brusilow did a stint as music director of the Dallas Symphony in
the early 1970s; eventually ended up teaching violin and conducting at
the University of Texas, Austin, I believe.

So he's a part of my extended family!

Best wishes to all-

Joel Lazar
Bethesda MD