From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:12:06 +0000
There were three candiates for the Kantorship of St Thomas Church in
Leipzig in 1723.  Georg Phillip Telemann, Christoph Graupner, and Johann
Sebastian Bach.  Bach's audition cantatas have been frequently recorded:
BWV 22 and 23.  However, the Graupner and Telemann pieces I am not so
sure.

I came across a performance of all these cantatas this year in Leipzig,
and wondered why they haven't been recorded as a "concept" CD. The
Graupner cantata "Lobet den Herrn, alle Heiden" got rave reviews on the
website I found. The Telemann cantata "Der Herr ist Konig" apparently
is a storng piece.

If anyone knows of recordings of these pieces, I would l love to know
about them....

I can only hope Robert King and the King's Consort would consider recording
them or maybe the CPO label.

Thanks,
Kim Patrick Clow