From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:45:59 -0800
Those of you who have passed over the Chandos/Jarvi recording of the
Kalinnikov #1 over the years, (as I have), wondering if any of it's
worthwhile, well, I finally went for it.  ($5.99 at Tower Outlet)

Ear candy? Yes, but *oh* what a beautiful and touching slow mov't.  It
opens with harp and high strings oscillating on a major 3rd, while cor
anglais(sp?), violas and cellos introduce a gently descending melody
that pauses momentarily for some beautiful suspensions along the way.

Many may cast a "jaundiced ear" towards the Russian Romantic symphonists,
but for those that have a soft spot, I recommend the Kalinnikov.  Those
afraid that they'll end up with another Rimsky 1st, have no fear:  the
Kalinnikov comes to life in a very sincere and melodious way.

John Smyth