From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:10:18 -0400
Delighted to see Steve Schwartz's enthusiasm for this release!

I conducted the local premiere of the Toch Dance Suite about 20 years
ago with the all-star Theater Chamber Players at the Kennedy Center; we
repeated it at the Library of Congress as well.  We used solo strings,
I recall that the score offers the option of small sections part of the
time as well.  I think that soli would work better.

WONDERFUL piece; the waltz-finale is one of those fantastic syntheses
of style, like the Busoni "Tanzwalzer" or the Strauss "Rosenkavalier"
waltzes, with a Mahlerian bite. Nice interpretative issue to sort out
what is parody and what isn't...

I envy my Berlin colleagues having the opportunity to record it!

Best wishes to all--

Joel Lazar
Bethesda MD