From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:12:43 PST
Although the title of this thread is fairly new, the subject matter is
not.  We have discussed over the years the modernist composers such as
Cage, Carter, and Birtswistle, and whether their compositions constitute
music or not.  I have often offered my view that the individual determines
for him/herself what is music and what is not music.  With that in mind, I
have no quarrel with an individual who feels that those compositions are
not music, but non-musical crap.

But, when these individuals take matters a step further and indicate that
it's not music for *anyone* and that young children should not be exposed
to it, and that people who claim to like it are not being sincere, I become
very disappointed in knowing that intelligent persons could possibly hold
such views.  I would have thought that a simple 4-year college education
would eliminate that type of thinking.

This offends my sense of democracy and the individual's right to make
choices and decisions (including children).

Don Satz