From:
"Richard A. Ujvary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:41:09 -0500
My observation is that this is the way our era is attempting to at
least link with the past somewhat, a past where "classical" was not
competing with the current cornucopia of musical styles that have
now taken "share of voice" in our culture.  As an art form, how can
"contemporary classical" compete with the overwhelming acceptance of how
we like our music today.  Its notes just get drowned out through the sheer
energy of those winning,competing styles.  Seems like a question of finding
its identity and crossover may help here.  Perhaps through this melding of
styles, this modern era that classical is going through will see sparks
that will jumpstart some real good new music.

Rich