From:
Nick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:38:23 -0700
Mike Leghorn wrote about his annoyance when everyone stands during the
Hallelujah Chorus:

>1) It's distracting
>2) It's knee-jerk behavior
>3) Shorter people get buried in the crowd

When Robert Shaw performed <Messiah>, he always had placed in the program
book, "The audience is requested not to stand during the Hallelujah
Chorus." Most people had no trouble complying with that.  A few, however,
called the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra office in some distress, asking
why they were not allowed to participate in a venerable tradition.

Never mind that the tradition is suspected of having begun for reasons
other than overwhelming respect.  As far as some folks are concerned,
it's something they've done since attending their first concerts in days
of youth, and something they look forward to with the same anticipation
as, say, decorating the house for the holidays.  They really wanted to
stand, but were not about to buck both a printed request and the behavior
of the rest of the audience.

I came to believe that we were diminishing the enjoyment of some segment
of our audience.  (One actual complaint is believed to indicate that
nine or so other patrons agree but did not express themselves.) And since
<Messiah> is programmed almost annually due to popular demand, why not
let them enjoy it?

Since Shaw's death, we have stopped putting the Don't Stand request in
our <Messiah> programs.  Some people don't stand, most do, but Handel's
great chorus rings just as true for all.

Nick Jones
Program Annotator
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra