From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:47:03 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I've just had huge enjoyment from re-acquainting myself with a very old
>favourite, Emil Gilels' version of the Beethoven 4th piano concerto, a
>performance I hadn't heard for many years.  The notes for the CD say that
>his early programs included Poulenc's Concert Champetre.  Played, I wonder,
>on harpsichord or piano, and if the latter, in whose arrangement? Anyone
>know?

On piano.  The original score features both piano and harpsichord versions.
The Gilel's performance was first released on a Melodia LP D 014775/6; with
Moscow Phil.  Kondrashin, cond.  It has been reissued on a CD, but don't
have that information handy.

There is also a performance of the piano version with the composer at the
keyboard and Mitropoulos conducting.  It can be found on one of the New
York Philharmonic collections of broadcast performances.

Karl