From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:45:44 -0500
Juozas Rimas:

>I think that people who claim to love Cage's music must deliberately or
>unconsciously force themselves to believe they really feel the affection.
>A trace of snobism can be observed here.  In every kind of modern art
>especially in painting!) there are charismatic personalities to be adored
>by the formula of "a connoisseur has told me it's good so it must be good".

This is too insufferably offensive to let pass, though I will not go
on at length.  You are presuming to judge the subjective sensibilities
and unconscious motivations of people you do not even know.  Cage is so
generally despised even by persons of the highest musical attainments that
I don't see how there could conceivably be any snob appeal to claiming to
like his music.  Under another subject heading (Profoundly Restful Music)
I gave Cage's early Sonatas and Interludes as an example of a work that, if
approached with a quiet mind and in terms of the kind of Asian aesthetic
that places equal importance to each fleeting moment, can reward close
attention, as a truly extraordinary work.  Have you heard it? If not,
please do not presume to judge that either.

Jim Tobin