From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:51:07 PDT
Dan Schmidt mentioned Fibich as being overlooked.  Good choice.  In the
past few months, I've been enjoying some of his chamber music:  an MDG disc
of piano chamber music and an Orfeo disc of string quartets.  This is very
good music.  I'm not as enamored of his symphonies, but it's possible that
the performances I have (Jarvi on Chandos) don't do full justice to the
works.  Any comparisons to make between Jarvi and the fairly new symphony
disc on Naxos? What's the opinion of the Fibich operas?

Don Satz