From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 10:26:50 -0700
The latest offering from BMG includes a number of BIS releases, including
a composer I'd never heard of:  Kaveli Aho, a Finnish composer.  BMG
is offering a disk containing his 2nd and 7th Symphonies, the latter
a reworking of his opera on the play "The Insects" by Karel Kapek (The
famous author of R.U.R., which gives us the word "Robot," I believe.)
Upon checking Aho in Tower on line (which I always find has very extensive
selections,) I discover many CDs of Mr.  Aho's symphonies and some chamber
music as well.  The Tower sound samples of the 7th are pretty impressive
to me.  Tho I personally found the samples of his Quintet for Bassoon &
Strings rather ugly sounding.  Anyone have opinions on these or other
works of is?

Dave Wolf  [log in to unmask]