From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:24:36 -0800
To me the intellectual is the artist who highlights the elements of a
piece that bring into view its overall concept, or architecture; leaving
its sensual elements to be intuitively absorbed.  The "sensual" or
sensational artist is sometimes condemned for leaving the intellectual's
preoccupations to intuition while reveling in the surface beauties.

In an interesting aside, Jacques Barzun, in his book, "From Dawn to
Decadence," points out that until late, most tools were invented and
manipulated long before their concepts were understood.  Today we develop
concepts first and then shake out their practical applications.  He sees
a parallel in the way that we currently think about the production of
art and music.  (I would add sexuality to this.) I wonder if the
"intellectual artist" is a modern invention.

John Smyth
Sac, CA USA