From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:44:24 +0100
Deryk Barker wrote:

>In 1968 the live recording of the Last Night of the Proms, which finished
>on the Saturday night at around 10 p.m., was in the stores by 9 a.m.  on
>the Monday, appx.  35 hours later.
>
>When somebody beats that, I'll be impressed.

In 1995 I sang in a performance of Handel's 'Messiah' in Manchester
Cathedral in aid of charity.  The performance was on sale on CD within 24
hours, also in aid of charity.  There was I believe a deliberate attempt
to claim the record for the quickest release of a recording of a live
performance.

However, I didn't get a copy of the recording.  It wasn't a very good
performance but nevertheless if any MCML member has a copy I would be
interested in having a tape of it.

Virginia Knight
Personal homepage: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html