From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:01:59 -0400
Jody Gatwood, a noted violinist, is involved with an experimental, computer
based tutorial for training student violinists.  The tutorial is available
at:

   http://music.cua.edu/html/gatwood/teaching/sightread1_qt.html

You need a Web Browser with QuickTime, a free plug-in, to run the tutorial.

Mr. Gatwood is on the faculty of the Rome Conservatory of the Catholic
University of America and is a fine violinist, violin teacher, and human
being.  While his sight-reading tutor is admittedly in the experimental
stages, I am confident it would not appear on his web page if he did not
believe it could be used to advantage.  I'm sure he would appreciate
feedback on the tutor.

Some might find the encounter with Yehudi Menuhin noted on his web page
to be of interest:  as revealing of Menuhin as of Gatwood.  Last year he
suffered a rotator cuff injury (I think that's what it was) and as far
as I know has not resumed giving public performances.  By the way, Mr.
Gatwood, when a student at Julliard, had the distinction to receive the
last lesson taught by the famed Ivan Galamian.  I am told that Galamian,
of whom it was said he was responsible for improving the level of violin
playing worldwide, was fatally stricken within moments of completing a
lesson with Mr.  Gatwood.

Larry Sherwood