From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:50:56 +1000
Roy Ellefsen:

>I have recently heard the works of a couoke of composers with
>whom I am unfamiliar:Jollly Bragos-Santos (I did that from
>memory, and the spelling may beoff bit) and Villem Kapp. What do
>you know about them? What do youreccomend as their best and
>most accessable compositions for a new listener.

Braga Santos is one of those composers whose music took a different
stylistic path in mid-career, and so the earlier work is probably more
accessible to most listeners.  Marco Polo has a series of orchestral
music, including all six symphonies.  The first four are characterised
by big tunes and some wonderful brass writing.  I'd recommend especially
Nos 1 and 3 for the new listener: from what I've read, No 4 is generally
regarded as the best of the canon.  All the Marco Polo series have been
reviewed at Musicweb (http://www.musicweb-international.com/) where the
search engine will find them for you.  If you know someone who subscribes
to Fanfare, reviews from that magazine are available to him/her online.
Surprisingly, there are no reviews at Classical Net.  I should mention
that at least some of the symphonies have been recorded on Portugalsom.
The only one of these I've heard is #5, a fine performance which I have
on LP - I haven't heard the others, and anyway, it's not the easiest
label to acquire.

Richard Pennycuick