From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:34:34 EDT
Aaron J Rabushka writes:

>Wait a minute--Roussel's Sinfonietta with a trumpet? I know that the
>Honneger 2nd Symphony on the other side of my copy of the Roussel has a
>trumpet (ad lib.), but I've never heard of the Roussel Sinfonietta having
>one.

A propos of Honneger, I was in Switzerland over Easter and there ran across
a photograph of him dating back to March, 1941.  He is shown in a Swiss
army uniform conducting other uniformed personnel of the "Armeesymphonie."
The picture is one in a collection of photographs in coffeetable volume
published three years ago by the Neue Zuercher Zeitung, and showing work by
Swiss Army Public Affairs photographers during the period of World War II.
Neither the text block accompanying the relevant chapter nor the picture's
own caption contains any further information.  My own observation is that
A.H's uniform ill fitted his ample torso and that his hair cut is more out
of the Three Stooges than the Swiss Army.  More to the point, the photo
would seem to add something to the list's discussion concerning Honneger's
true nationality.  It seems to betoken that Honneger was somewhat less than
99.99 percent pure French.  (The title of the picture book is "Bilder aus
der Schweiz, 1939-1945").

Denis Fodor