From:
Alexandros Rigas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:56:41 -0400
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Can someone reccommend a good recording of the Berg violin concerto?
>I have heard very good things and I want to see if they are true.

Historically speaking the version by Szigeti/NBC/Mitropoulos (available on
CD) is not to be missed.  The studio version by Krasner/Cleveland/Rodjinsky
originally on Columbia (together with Schoenberg's Violin Cto by
Krasner/NYPO/Mitropoulos) I think appeared on the french label DANTE/LYS.

Modern recordings cannot match the a.m. recordings' dedication but, despite
of this, look for the Zukerman/Boulez on Sony or Szeryng/Kubelik on DG.

The Russians have also contributed to the recordings history of this work
with the impressing interpretation of Leonid Kogan/Rodjestvensky (Melodyia
LP, Arlechinno CD).

Best Wishes,

Alexandros Rigas
Athens, Greece