From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:56:29 -0500
This discussion prompts me to research nominees for the Greatest American
Symphony.  A Google search on "greatest American symphony," and "great
American symphony" brings up the following nominees, besides the Shapero:

Harris #3, #7
Schuman #3, #6
Copland #3
Ives #4
Diamond #2
Creston #2

Harris' and Copland's Third are the only ones mentioned by a substantial
number of sources.  The Ives #4 comes from a 1930's article by Bernard
Hermann.

John Vincent's 1957 Symphony in D also received such an accolade when
it was issued on Albany Troy 250 in 1997.

To put my two cents in, none of the above has enthralled me as much as
any number of European symphonies.  I would hesitate to call any of them
great by the European standard.  Of all American symphonies, I've probably
listened to the Harris and Copland the most, along with the Bernstein
so- called Symphony #2.  I don't listen to any of them any more.  My
favorite American symphony now is the Sebastian Currier Microsymph.
Americans seem far more successful at writing concerted works.  Is it
because we're so adversarial?

Curtis Otto Bismark Curtis-Smith has written a piece called "The Great
American Symphony" on Albany 475.  I haven't heard it, but it certainly
sounds American in its ambition.  Maybe the heritage of his name has
magically infused his music with that elusive something that makes for
greatness.  Or maybe we should give up and do what we do best, movie
scores, rock and rap.

Jeff Dunn
Alameda, CA