From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:59:22 PST
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>I had never heard of this group when I acquired the cd, but Capriccio cds
>are only about $ 10, and they record the great Shirai-Hoell lieder team,
>so their credibility is very high!!!

Capriccio introduced me to the vocal works of Hasse and Telemann and
the operas of Zemlinsky.  Hasse's opera "Cleofide", a very fine work, is
conducted by William Christie and has Emma Kirby as one of the soloists.
Just a few other excellent cds include Sandor Vegh conducting a disc of
Mozart divertimentos, Bach's Inventions from Ton Koopman, a cycle of
Schubert's piano sonatas from Michael Endres, Kiel's Missa Solemnis,
Spohr's opera "Faust", and a batch of recordings of Kurt Weill.  And,
although I'm not a fan of Bach on modern instruments, the best in that
category I've heard of the Orchestral Suites and the Brandenburgs come
from Max Pommer on Capriccio.

I haven't acquired any Capriccio recordings since the Endres/Schubert
series.  Are there any good ones I've missed recently?

Don Satz