From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:48:36 -0500
I'm no string player, so I defer to those who are.  Several have told me
of Budapest's terrible intonation, weak ensemble, and so on.  Once pointed
out, they became apparent even to me.  Nevertheless, I would recommend at
least one later Budapest recording:  the Schubert C-major "cello" quintet.
There are moments of sheer magic in that recording, missing from every
other account I've heard.  I have no idea how they bring these off.

Steve Schwartz