From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:28:35 -0800
Steve Schwartz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I can't say that I have no interest in knowing who the greatest composer
>is, but I have absolutely no idea who it might be.  As Wittgenstein wrote
>at the end of the Tractatus, "One ought to keep silent over those things
>one knows nothing about."

Actually Steve, as you probably know, the original was written in German,
but published with German and the English tranlsation on facing pages.

The final proposition, P7, reads:

   Wowon man nicht sprechen kann, daru"ber muss man schweigen

translated as:

   Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent

This has not the same import as your rendering:  LW is talking about things
we can and can't articulate - mystical experiences being one example of the
latter category.

It seems to me that the job of music critic (mea culpa) is a perpetual
(perpetually doomed?) attempt to prove him wrong.

Deryk Barker