From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:03:06 +0100
Jocelyn Wang wrote:

>Some have the "senza repitizione" (w/o repeats) instruction written by the
>composer, some don't.  The problem is when the performers or conductor
>decides to overrule the composer and omit the repeats in the da capo
>despite the absence of that instruction, thereby creating an inauthentic
>and therefore bogus performance.

First of all, Jocelyn, I should say that I am a big repeat fan myself,
sometimes getting in big fights with colleagues!  But my question remains,
since many composers did indeed write "senza repeats" in the part, does
that perhaps imply that the general performance practice was to not take
those repeats, and if a composer did not write it it is because he knew the
musicians would automatically do the da capo without repeats? I see this
particular practice as vague, and repeat freak though I am, I would never
repeat the da capo of a minuet.

David Runnion
http://www.mp3.com/serafinotrio