From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:04:53 -0500
Jerry B Sullivan wrote:

>There is not alot of 'new' vinyl in the classical genre.  But this site
>lists 407 items under classical and vinyl: http://store.acousticsounds.com/
>And this is just one of many.  The Half-Price Books stores and Goodwill
>are FULL of used vinyl in great condition.  Mostly 25 cents at Half-Price
>and 99 cents at Goodwill.

While I don't recommend donating records to libraries, I do suggest
attending library book sales.  Libraries rarely place any value on
recordings and will sell their own and donated discs for next to nothing.
Not only can one find some treasures, every now and then you can find
some collectable discs.  I also found a complete run of Source magazine
(music of the Avant Garde-published back in the 60's and 70's by Larry
Austin) for $2 a volume at a recent library sale.

I frequently make the rounds of second hand book stores, thrift stores
(Goodwill, Salvation Army and church related shops, etc.).  About a year
and half ago, a University in San Antonio sold its record collection to
the Half-Price books nearby.  I spent $50 for 50 records...all classical...
all repertoire not available on CD.  You might ask, why would a University
get rid of repertoire not available on CD...for me it is a sad commentary
on libraries.

A few great finds have paid for my record budget for the year.

I should add that 90% of the time I find very little, but then every now
and then...two months ago...I found a ten LP set from Dutch radio, all
orchestral music of the 20th Century (they issued several series)...cost
$2.98.

One of the things like about LPs...they can be cheap and you feel like
you can gamble on a recording...a friend of mine who has a second hand
record business will give me slightly scratched records, things he doesn't
want to sell...

Similarly, I find video discs (the old 12 inch ones) of opera for $2.98
Last weekend I bought another Laserdisc player at a second hand shop for
$14.98 Works like new.

Karl