Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:27:45 -0500
From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Is the Orchestre Revolutionaire et Romantique also based in London?

Definitely England, but I'm not sure about London per se.

>And (this seems to be as good an opportunity as any for asking what I've
>always wondered) where and why in the world did they come upon that name?

I don't have a definite answer here, but my speculation is that Gardiner
came up with the rather cumbersome title:  he seems to be a big fan of
French music, and the title pretty much describes the historical period
from which their music originates.  If I remember correctly, there was
mention on the monologue CD which accompanies the Beethoven symphony that
the English Baroque Soloists who recorded the "Missa Solemnis" were
actually the ORR, but the latter title hadn't been used for whatever
reason.

Mark K. Ehlert