From:
Dick Claeys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:47:01 -0800
Another take on the Tilson Thomas persona is contained deep inside a Wall
Street Journal Leisure & Arts article (2/17/00, pg.  A14), in which Greg
Sandow wonders whether or not Muti has been offered the NY Philharmonic
slot.  As he wraps up this article, the author longs for "another Leonard
Bernstein...someone who'd draw attention outside the classical music
world..building bridges to people who don't listen to it." He concludes
that only MTT comes close at the moment, but he's someone "the Philharmonic
musicians don't like."

Interesting...does anyone on the Right Coast or active in musical circles
know whether this is true? My Boston friends say that things have cooled
there toward MTT after his meteoric start as Steinberg's fill-in.  Just
curious; having heard his Mahler at Davies Hall, I'm convinced he's grown
and deepened as an interpreter.  And I also agree that Blomstedt deserves
considerable credit for building the orchestra, refining the sound, and
broadening the repertoire during his regime.  We're all benefitting from
the harmonious transition.

Dick Claeys