From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:56:03 PST
Harmonia Mundi recently issued the opera "Contadina" by Johann Adolph
Hasse, a baroque composer whose discography is becoming fairly extensive.
I have a few Hasse cds and find most of his music well-constructed with
memorable melodic content such as his opera Cleofide; but, I have heard
Hasse works which are not highly inspired.

For those who are familiar with Contadina, is the music worthy of purchase
and continued listening?

As an aside, I ordered a cd of instrumental/orchestral music by another
baroque composer (Fux) on Arcana.  Does anyone have this cd?  How does Fux
compare to Hasse?

Don Satz