From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:10:00 -0500
Having just updated my own wish list of classical CDs (the sum total of
which far exceeds both my pocket book and my free time for listening in
the next decade) I was curious about what others on the list do.

I find I jot down anything that sounds interesting from MCML and also
from reviews.  (Almost anything Schwartzo recomends goes on my list.) I
end up with many pieces I want to explore and others where I've heard that
different versions might be worth comparing to the one I own.  In this way,
several months after first listing them, I encountered Berio's fantastic
Sequenzas and also, from a used bin, the revelation of Szell's performance
of Dvorak's Eighth Symphony that had underwhelmed me previously.

Do you maintain a wish list for desired future purchases or do you buy on
impulse? If you have a list, how many items are on it? How do you organize
it (by composer, by genre, by period, etc.) and how frequently do you
purge/update it?

I guess in a way this is related to discussions we've had about cataloging
collections; in this case, I'm interested in how you catalog the things
that aren't yet in your collection, but may be some day.

Just curious.

Ed