From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:14:13 -0500
Steve Peters asks:

>Was "Song Without Words", the second movement of 2nd Suite in F by Gustav
>Holst ever transcribed for solo flute? I have looked for it, and thus far
>have been unable to make a discovery of its existence.  If someone could
>point me in the direction of where to look, it would be greatly
>appreciated.

The second suite is based on traditional folk songs.  The "Song Without
Words" is an arrangement of the folk song "I'll Love My Love," and
according to Imogen Holst's thematic catalogue of her father's music,
essentially orchestrates one of the Nine Folk Songs for voice and piano.
I can easily imagine this transcribed for flute and piano. However, as of
1974 at any rate, these songs existed only in manuscript.  Something may
have happened since then.

The tune also pops up in the published 6 Choral Folksongs, as well as in
other unpublished Holst manuscripts.

Steve Schwartz