From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:49:33 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>It seems to be one of the more scarce Haydn symphonies, and I'd do
>anything to find a nice box set of all the London Symphonies.  The George
>Solti performance is supposed to be good (isn't that the one, Mike?).
>But whichever performance you get, you can't go wrong with this symphony.

Since you mention that you are from Charlotte, NC. in an earlier post,
then I would buy the Royal Amsterdam Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis, Cond.
on Philips Duo, at Media Play. I happen to know that they usually have
it on the shelves and sells for $14.99 on 2 CD's. You will get six London
Symphonies each so you can get all 12 for $30, not too mention also
highly rated. Borders sells for $17.99 so I would always check availability
on Media Play selection if you want to save a few bucks. The problem now
is that Media Play has really cut back on classical selections to almost
nothing but every once in a while they do some stupid marketing (to my
view and delight) like sell full price classical CD's that are being cut
out (for whatever reason) for one or two dollars. I remember walking in
one day and seeing 300 plus CD's marked around $1 and looking around to
see if anyone else was noticing this gold mine----nope, nada. So I spent
the afternoon with my CD guides and getting stacks of CD's and looking
up the ratings to see if I was getting a good deal--not a sure fire way
but your odds are better than blind chance.I happen to respect the writers
of the Penguin Guide(regardless of the bias covered in past posts) so I
feel good when I see I'm buying a rossette or a 3 star CD for $1 and
other times $3--either way a good deal. When I started out buying CD's
in 1990 I was buying LaserLight CD's for $5 or less thinking I was getting
a good deal, but now most of them have been resold to second hand shops.
My point is that if I am a beginner, I would use all the resources
available to me to carefully buy CD's at the best prices. Even if I pay
one dollar for a CD, if I do not go back to listen again then what is
the point but I will pay full price when I know I will get years of
enjoyment from it.

The George Solti performance is good (my opinion of course, I know nothing
of music except to listen and learn) and is at the Charlotte Mecklenburg
Library where you can check out for 3 weeks then renew for another 3
weeks. I might also add that you can do this on-line and have them bring
your CD selections to whatever branch is closet to you. I have many times
used their catalog to browse their collections (not bad, not great either)
but is a good way to sample the conductors--Karajan, Szell, Solti,
Ormandy, etc., all for free. Just in case you are not aware of the
above--here it is for what it is worth.

Glenn Miller