From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 10:02:14 -0600
Bruno Galeron:

>I have all of them on the "Great British Composers" series (EMI) conducted
>by Sir Adrian Boult.  I've also seen they were reissued in a single box set
>and I was wondering if they were remastered with a better sound?

No idea.

>So, could you recommend me complete, recent and great recordings for
>Vaughan Williams symphonies?

There's no better complete set, in my opinion, than the Boult.  However,
there have been better recordings of individual symphonies, although not
recent recordings.  Barbirolli's Fifth and Second I prefer to Boult's.  I
think Haitink's Seventh edges out Boult's.  The Fourth has been blazingly
recorded by Mitropoulos and by the composer himself, although these are
hardly the last word in sound.  I find the Thomson set dull and at times
clueless.  I think the Hickox CDs good, but at best no better than Boult.
Bernstein recorded a disappointing Fourth, just in case you might be
tempted by the conductor's star power.

Steve Schwartz