From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:42:29 -0500
Walter Meyer writes:

>For some Mozart is too important a figure, and one held in too
>much affection, to be made the subject of a tale that is historically
>inaccurate. ...

Not only that, but I find the the genre of "faction" in writing as a whole,
and not just relative to music, unpleasant because devious.  If the author
lacks sufficient knowledge of his subject to create a work of art from it,
he should then at least have the decency to desist from falsifying history.
The most obvious way of doing that is to drop the project and go on to
something else.  Thus, to my mind, the movie not only travestied Mozart
(and Salieri) but testified to the capriciousness, rather than the art,
of its makers.

Denis Fodor