From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 06:38:48 -0600
Richard Pennycuick:

>A brief postscript to Steve Schwartz's review of Sancta Civitas and Dona
>nobis pacem, a CD I've yet to hear.  My first encounter with Dona nobis
>pacem was Maurice Abravanel's version on Vanguard from the late 60s, which
>I loved from day one. ...
>
>Eventually, Boult's Dona nobis was released.  I was disappointed.  I
>didn't feel nearly as involved in the music as I did with Abravanel's.
>I realise that Boult is the *man* as far as VW is concerned and to rate
>Abravanel higher might smack of heresy.  I await other opinions.

Abravanel's was my intro to the work as well.  I especially like the
baritone soloist.  However, the playing of the Utah Symphony just doesn't
come up to Boult's band.  The texture's muddier.  That said, the reading is
more passionate than Boult's.

Abravanel often had that problem.  I loved his interpretation of the Mahler
8th, for example, but again the Utah really couldn't cut it.  Must have
been wonderful live, however.

Steve Schwartz