From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:30:50 +0100
John Escapa wrote:

>Hello everyone, Could someone please clarify why sometimes when watching
>different performances, instruments or instrument groups are placed in
>different areas of the stage?

It is a combination of regional and historical tradition, acoustics of a
hall, and the whim/desire/philosophy of the conductor.  Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think the 18th c.  German tradition was as you say, with the
firsts and seconds facing each other, to give "stereo" separation.  The
f-holes, as they are called, do indeed face away from the audience, but
in their usual position the seconds are in back of the firsts, which also
covers their sound (which depending on your second violin section may not
be such a bad thing.)

>Or is possibly the conductor feels like moving people around because he
>can?

That also happens, and I know one conductor that habitually irritated our
orchestra every time he guest-conducted by putting the horns over here, the
timpani over there, changing the whole setup.  He had his reasons, but a
band gets used to their usual setup, and when all of a sudden the trumpets
are blaring in your left ear instead of the right, it can be distracting
and actually detract from the orchestra's level of playing.  Better to
leave well enough alone.  On the other hand, once or twice a conductor
came and moved the cellos (my section) to the spot usually occupied by
the second violins.  I liked that, because I could look out into the hall
instead of staring at the violins all the time, and also I could see the
conductor's face instead of the usual view of his right ear.

David Runnion
Mallorca