From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:07:09 -0500
Stephen Bacher on getting NPR to go more classical:

>But...  all NPR fundraising I've heard has been of the form "if you want
>us to continue bringing you the programming of so-and-so that we've been
>doing, show us your support for it".  I can't see how a listener can
>make a pledge conditional on changing the programming, under those
>conditions.  And contributing any money would more likely have the
>opposite effect, of confirming the choices made by the radio station.

I agree, particularly since the weak commitment to classical music is
largely ideological and consultant driven.  Classical music enthusiasts
might want to take what they might have sent to NPR and invest it in
their private cd collections.

Bernard Chasan