From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:58:03 EST
Sam Kemp [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Would you prefer to visit a concert where the music was of one particular
>style in order that it is effectively guaranteed that the audience want to
>hear the music and do not shuffle restlessly, or one that mixed the two in
>the hope that people would be surprised by how good some more "difficult"
>music is?

Music Directer Ozawa and BSO management tend to program each concert with
a variety of material which ensures that at least one piece will please a
crosssection of tastes in the audience.  For example, last Friday's program
consisted of the Corigliano 2nd Symphony as the openning work.  Following
intermission the popular Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2 was also included.
Programming to the lowest common denominater of audience taste is not
likely to fill concert halls around the world.  My gripe is with many in
the audience not having enough consideration to be quiet during the piece
they don't necessarily enjoy.  I believe all persons could should show
enough common sense and courtessy to recognize that a balanced program is
unlikely to please everyone all of the time.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA