From:
Peter Varley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:24:57 -0000
Donald Satz asks:

>Have any of you heard this new recording of Rubbra's violin sonatas? I like
>his symphonies very much.  Are the violin sonatas of roughly equal quality?

I've heard it, and found it very enjoyable.

I like Rubbra's symphonies very much too, particularly the 4th and 5th.
The violin sonatas may not be quite the equal of those two (the first two
sonatas are fairly early works and the 3rd a late work) but they're still
very fine pieces IMO.  If anything, Rubbra's mix of singable melody and
contrapuntal background seems to work even better for violin and piano
than it does for orchestra.

Peter Varley