From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:19:56 -0500
Robert Peters wrote:

>The little brook now leads the snow into a city (now this is what you
>call poetic licence), into its lively streets . .  Now, this is a really
>exaggerated image, isn't it?

Not quite.  If you have visited Freiburg im Breisgau, you will notice
that the brook coming down the mountain has been diverted to flow through
gutters in the city's streets, continuously cleansing them.  These
"bachle," as they are called by Freiburgers, often catch an unwary tourist
off guard.

I have been told there are similar towns in the Black Forest and elsewhere
in central Europe.

Also "seine" in the first stanza of the lied has the meaning "its," not
"his."

Otherwise I am greatly enjoying Robert's traversal of these lieder by
Schubert.

John Dalmas