From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:22:05 -0500
John Gallant, and Dr. Phage write:

>...  Then, there is the case of Schubert's Tenth, realized from
>piano score by Newbold (on Hyperion).  It is not "wahoo, the greatest
>thing ever", but nonetheless it is good to have it, especially the
>haunting, Mahler-like slow movement.  I say, let the unearthers and
>realizers have at it!

I am also grateful for the Elgar Third.  But as a general principle after
the unearthers and the realizers have done their worst (or best) a healthy
skepticism is appropriate.  I have profound doubts about the authenticity
of the Ives Universe Symphony - not that any fraud was perpetrated- just
lots of wishful thinking and unjustified extrapolation.

Bernard Chasan