From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:46:45 -0500
Don Satz declares he stands unflinching in his belief that free enterprise
is the ideal, indeed the only vital carrier of classical music:

>It has endured through the centuries because of the music, not
>intervention.  Let the chips fall where they may.

It's endured because it has always been subsidized either outright
or subtly, or partly or wholly.  Involved were a whole cavalcade of
institutions ranging from the aristocracy, through the upper-mobile
bourgeoisie, through educational institutions, cities and states.  I can't
think of a famous opera house or symphony hall built without some sort of
patronage or public subsidy.  But Don, vexed about having to pay taxes to
indulge Denis Fodor's requirements of classical music, though in fact he
pays not one Pfennig of them, has now disappeared over the dusky horizon
and there's no sense going on....

Denis Fodor                     Internnet:[log in to unmask]