From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:11:00 -0500
James Tobin wrote:

>Well, if you can get to Stockholm, pop over to Canterbury which, when I
>was last there, had the best supply and best display--at eye level on the
>wall--I have ever seen.  Where I shop, in Milwaukee, the Naxos discs are on
>a wretched turning rack with one behind the other, such that you have to
>crouch and turn sideways at the same time.  Quite difficult with bifiocals.
>And yes, I am sure the lower return on cheap Naxos discs affects the
>quantity in some outlets.

Naxos CDs were going at three for the price of two at the Borders Book
Shop on Kauai, which, considering it's not the locus of much classical
music activity, has as good a selection of classical CDs as I've found
in several stores in the DC area.

On our recent vacation there, I bought three 2-cd sets, (Fischer playing
the WTC on two of those sets, and Muck in successive old recordings of
pieces from *Parsifal* almost making up the complete opera), which entitled
me to get three more sincle CDs, (Myra Hess playing Schumann's Carnival and
Piano Concerto, Berwald's Piano Quintets, and Rawthorne's Symphonic Studies
and Cello and Oboe concertoes).  I also made my purchase on a Tuesday,
entitling me to a further senior citizens' discount.

Walter Meyer