From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:20:23 PDT
Andrys Basten wrote of Tureck:

>I haven't thought much about this one at all but someone played, over the
>phone for me, the firt movement of a Bach partita by her.  It was better
>than I remembered thinking when hearing her some a long time ago.

Was that a long distance call? I've heard of "phone sex", but I've never
been called by anyone to listen to a piece of music.  Andrys must have
better friends than I do.  [And, a much better phone.  -Dave]  My friends
call to "chat", and I hate chatting on the phone; they call anyways.  I
get no respect.

Me thinks that my little description (borrowed) of Tureck as the "high
priestess of Bach keyboard playing" has led to some comments about how
reverently we think of particular artists.  Just to clear things up, I
don't think reverently of anyone as a person.  Yes, I think Tureck is
superb in Bach, but that does not make her a superb person (whatever that
is).  Everyone has deficiences (except me).

Don Satz