From:
Susan Juhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 19:31:40 -0700
Jeff Dunn wrote a most compelling letter about Sept 11.

I host a classical music show on a pubic radio show in northern California,
and was asked to present the first program that wasn't "news" after Sept.
11.  2001.  I had only a few hours to prepare it.  What guided my hand
to American composers?  I don't know.  This is a list of the music I
played.

Prayer of St. Gregory   Alan Hovhaness
There is a Country    Richard Delong
Still, Still with Thee     Fred Gramann
Elegy from Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra   Corigliano
Lux Aeterna: Introitus (Eternal Rest)   Lauridsen
Summerland    Stills
Fantasy on a Hymn Tune of Justin Morgan    Canning
Simple Song  from Mass     Bernstein
Alleluia     Randall Thompson
Variations on Reflections    Amy Scurria
Con sentimento (middle mvt) from Walter Piston's Serenata for Orchestra:
Chaconne (in Memoriam...)    Ron Nelson
Out of the Depths     Hovhaness
Threnody from suite for violin with String Orchestra   Lou Harrison.
Kaddish for cello and orchestra    Diamond
Pilgrims' Hymn    S. Paulus
Adagio for Strings    Barber
Simple Gifts     Copland
The Promise of Living from the Tender Land    Copland
Largo from Sonata    WT McKinley

Susan Juhl   KZYX-FM  Mendocino Public Broadcasting