From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:06:36 +0000
Daryl Loomis wrote:

>... I feel that film music is of great importance to
>today's music, it is just that it is still such a young medium.

Have you heard the Star Trek Voyager theme? I was listening to it the
other day conscienciously to see how well structured it is.  My conclusion
is that although I find this a moving piece of music it's structure and
orchestration is very weak.  So the emotion must be carried in the theme
itself.  (CF my posting on musical tastes.)

Regarding your point though I would consider the Voyager theme and much
modern film music as 'Romantic'.  This not the case in the 60's and 70's,
however, when much film music was Jazz and 20c classical orientated.  This
was progressive stuff.

Now it seems that the industry has gone backwards to a safe haven?

Bob Draper