Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:23:16 -0700
We know this subject has been discussed on this list several times before,
but I didn't keep those messages.  Christmas "getting", prompted by the
harrassment of relatives and friends has just led me into an awareness of
how much I want to develop my library of say the best 50 books or best 100
books on classical music, starting with Bach.

We have only the "best recordings" and "musical appreciation" sorts of
books in my library.  None of the deeper, satisfying histories.

We are hoping that some of you can list your favorite five or ten books on
classical music...  They could be on a composer or a period or philosophy.

Perhaps some great ideas will come up, so I can squeeze some practical last
minute gifts out of my medical student son who is always claiming I never
want anything, or he doesn't know what to get.

Ray Bayles