From:
"Charles L. L. Dalmas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:08:01 -0500
I'm thinking Horenstein.  I have his Titan on Nonesuch LP (mint, as well),
and it's the best by far that I've heard.

Also, in response to Furtwaengler as "The" Bruckner conductor, I would
have to agree, but with Karajan in the same league.  I know I'll be flamed
by the "I hate HvK" police, but it's my opinion.  Bruckner is music of the
cosmos itself, with giant forms stretched over all four movements, and
thematic development stretched over 40 measure phrases.  This is especially
apparent in the 1890 Haas version of the 8th Symphony.  Well, I won't go
into a long winded diatribe, so I'll sign off, and start ducking the
flames...*grin*

Charles L. L. Dalmas
http://www.winternet.com/~davion