From:
Brenda Zwickel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:50:45 -0400
Roger Lebow wrote:

>Whenever I see the "new expressiveness" of our [ahem] finest artistes,
>I can't fail to recall the physical presence of, say, Heifetz or
>Piatigorsky, neither of them exactly slouches, who comported themselves
>with a minimum of fuss and bother (Piatigorsky, whose master class I
>attended, said that Heifetz used to play "with that face like a gefilte
>fish"), but whose playing contained all the passion one (or at least I)
>could hope for.  Today's players, of course, don't trust us to divine
>the essence of the music without some visual cues.  Sometimes, watching
>the mugging going on in performance, I marvel at the fact that there are
>people who are actually opposed to the use of high-powered attack
>rifles...
>
>I'll have the valet post this message now.

Your valet did post the message, you'll be pleased to know.  So difficult
finding good help nowadays.  The laundress quit last month, and I don't
have a clean thing to wear.

 [I do distribute messages, I don't do laundry.  Not even my own if I can
get away with it.  -Dave]

I agree, Roger-Leila Josefsberg and Nadia Sonnenberg-Salerno drive me
crazy with their facial expressions and motion.  It's so true, the oldies,
Heifetz, (love that gefilte fish line!) Stern, just played, gorgeously.
I think these new artistes feel they have to show us how hard they are
working.  I always feel like standing up and yelling "Stop mugging, fer
Chrissakes!  I KNOW it's hard work!"

The other end of the spectrum is Anna-Sofie Mutter (whom I ALWAYS confuse
with Anne-Sofie Von Otter), who just sways slightly, but has virtually
no audience contact at all.  She evokes a "Hey, I sittin' here, lady!"
response from me.  But she wears gorgeous gowns.

The first time I saw Tetzlaff, he seemed like a dead fish, just stood
there, no audience connection, a la Mutter.  Then I saw him a few weeks
ago with the Met Orchestra, he bobbed and weaved and swayed, and danced,
but still not much audience connection.  He did the Berg concerto, I
don't like it, but the audience loved him.

Bren